Monday, September 26, 2011

Why I am doing this

This blog is called PK is for life so I thought I would explain why I have decided to do this blog and what I think that it means.

First of all PK stands for Preacher's Kid for those of you who do not know. Being a PK is not something that you choose but is usually something you are born into. Your parent or parents may be senior pastors, associate pastors, youth pastors, or any form of an ordained minister. You may have been at the same church your whole life, or it may take both hands to count the number of times you have moved. Not every PK has the same experience, but I think it is safe to say that we all have some commonalities. We all have to watch our parents put others first and devote their lives to serving God and the Church. I believe it is safe to say that even if just one of our parents is the ordained minister, both parents serve. It is a calling for both of them and eventually the whole family.

As I explore this blog I will talk about different struggles we face, as well as the good aspects of this life. No matter how old you are, you will always be a preacher's kid. That title shapes you in a way that very few can, it is usually your identity as a kid and the one you try to run from as an adult. If you can, you embrace it and learn to accept it as a part of who you are. Otherwise it is something that will always be a cross to bear. I decided to do this because PKs are a small group of the total population and we need to find strength in each other. For me this has come about after reconnecting with the facebook page. I have things from my past that I need to work through, and I have a feeling that I am not the only one. Too many PKs leave the church as adults and maybe if there was something for the next generation to look at and learn from more might stay in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment